Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Lilac Room

Our guest bedroom, now known as The Lilac Room, transformation is really starting to take shape. (I plan to name all of our rooms as if we were some old grand estate. Even though we're a 60's ranch.) I was really worried about the color, French Lilac by Benjamin Moore, when we first started. It seemed rather shocking after a mostly muted wall color palette in the rest of the house.  Once I finished the trim, and the white was so much brighter, it really started to make sense.

Here's what it looked like when we toured the house.  I think the walls were cream, but probably hadn't been painted in 20 plus years. It was pretty scuffed and worn.



Here's where we stand now.



We still need some curtains and a few more accessories, but I really like how it's coming together. Down the line, we'll be getting rid of the white dresser. It's been in our family for over 20 years, given as a hand-me-down from a family friend.  It was pretty old even when we got it. Now, the sides are warped and peeling, but fresh paint from a few years ago has helped to mask it a bit.  I have a matching table cloth across the top to hide some other imperfections, too.  The wall hangings are a hodge podge of things we've collected. The matching floral prints were a $10 find at an antique/junk store.  I'll be hanging that mirror; I just need a stronger hook, because it's heavy! Eventually, I think I'll be getting a really nice old, piece from my Mom to replace the dresser. But, that's down the road.  I plan to get a new bed skirt to go with the curtains, and I'll be changing the lamps out when we get new ones for our bedroom.



The gold framed city scape was something my Gramma gave me.  She's always giving me all sorts of finds.  The gold frame really looks great against the color.  I should have taken a close up of it.


And, the peach orchard which was right down the road from our house, was painted by Meg West. She was a local painter when we lived back in Virginia, and had a way of capturing the essence of our region.  Some of her stuff really wowed me. I should have taken a close up of that, too. (I'm still getting my blog groove on!)



I loved the sheets we got at Target. They seemed to go just perfectly, and the purple pillows were on sale for $8 each. I thought it was a good deal, and a good match, so I scooped them up.



I really like how it's turned out so far. I think it's quite the nice escape if you're coming to visit us, which just so happens, the Lilac Room is having its first guest tonight. 

5 comments:

rdog21 said...

It looks great!

Allison Szarmach said...

Wow, what a transformation! Looks awesome!

Donna said...

Well, I may have not been the first guest in the "Lilac Room", but since I refer to it as "my room" I have to say I love the lilac and the wall hangings.

H*Peans said...

Thanks! Yes, Mom, it is your room!

rdog21 said...

We're mostly trying to prevent it from becoming Rosie's room.