Thursday, December 20, 2012

Being grateful. Saltine toffee.

A lot has been happening in our household. In just two days, my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, niece and nephew will be flying across the pond to spend Christmas with us. We are so excited and trying to make everything just right in anticipation of our time together. It's been a rough year for our family, so I really want to make it special. (I'm tearing up as I write this!)

On top of everything else, I've really been feeling grateful for all the good fortune in my life. My husband, my family, my friends, and I have a job I enjoy very much.  Life is good even with all the terrible happenings in our world.  It's been pretty sad around here, lately.

So, enough sap and on to some of the things we've been doing.  I spent the past couple nights in a mad frenzy wrapping presents so that they're done before our company gets here.  Last night I finished my share, woohoo!  But tonight, I've really got to get on my baking. I haven't done any, but I did make some delicious treats last week.  Saltine toffee AKA Christmas Crack.   I was really skeptical the first time I had it, but after my first bite, I was hooked. I've made two batches already this year, and I'll probably be making two more.  It's just so easy. Here's the low-down:

Saltine Toffee
1 sleeve of saltines (40 crackers)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
1 tsp of vanilla
1 bag of chocolate chips (I like Hershey's or Ghiardelli. They melt pretty easily.)
Sugar or nuts for the topping

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Take a cookie sheet and line with aluminum foil or parchment paper. If using foil, spray foil with cooking spray.
-Line bottom of sheet with saltines.
-Add 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of butter and 1 tsp. of vanilla to small pot and melt until boiling for 3 minutes. Mixture will be golden brown.
-Pour mixture all over the saltines.
-Bake in oven for 7-8 minutes.
-Bring out of oven and sprinkle chocolate chips all over.
-Throw back in oven for a couple minutes so that chips are melty.
-Spread chips with a spatula, so you have a nice even coating.
-Sprinkle top with Christmas sugars or sprinkles or chopped nuts if you like. I like red sugar and non-pareils in red, green and white.
-Refrigerate for at least an hour, peel off foil or parchment, and then cut into squares. I like mine about 1 in. x 1 in., but you can do them bigger if you like.

Boil sugar, butter, vanilla for 3 minutes.


Boiled mixture nice and golden.

Pour over saltines.

Spread melted chips all over.



Refrigerate for an hour. Then cut into squares and serve.  Sorry, I accidentally deleted my photo of this cut into squares.
 Make this recipe with some Christmas tunes in the background and maybe a glass of Bailey's Irish Creme.  You'll be good to go. That's how I roll.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

You got me. I'm going to try this!

rdog21 said...

It's so very good. And you make everyone else grateful for you also. Don't forget that.